Get me outta here!

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

End of Year Book Survey 2013


Time for the end of the year book survey created by Jamie from The Perpetual Page Turner!

1. Best Book You Read In 2013? (If you have to cheat — you can break it down by genre if you want or 2013 release vs. backlist)

Through the Ever Night by Veronica Rossi Harmonic Feedback by Kelly Tara and Vain by Fisher Amelie where my only five star book these year so I'm going with those. I read four more five star books but three were re-reads and one was a cook book so they don't count.

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More
But Didn’t?

Allegiant by Veronica Roth, I didn't dislike it and I actually did give it four stars but it I guess I hoped I would have loved it even more because I really like the first two books in the series. Although I have to mention Greed by Fisher Amelie as well, I was less excited for it than I was for Allegiant but because I loved Vain so much, I jumped right on the second one in the series, which unfortunately was super disappointing.

3. Most suprising (in a good way!) book of 2013?

Shatter Me (Shatter Me #1) I guess, I had read good and bad things about it and because the bad things were pretty bad, I didn't think I'd like it but I ended up liking it a lot, the whole series actually.

  4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?

I don't think I necessarily recommended anything a lot but I guess the Razorland trilogy could count.

  5. Best series you discovered in 2013?

Shatter Me (Shatter Me #1)

  6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?

Tara Kelly

  7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?

 I'm still reading Feed (Newsflesh #1), or actually still have to go back to it but I did read the prequel novellas of the series and I really enjoyed those. I never really read zombie novels so this was something new for me. Unless you count Razorland but I don't really count that as a zombie series.

 8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?

 9. Book You Read In 2013 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?

None, I think. There's enough new stuff to read! So far, my only planned re-read is Divergent before the movie comes out but I didn't read that in 2013 so that doesn't count.

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?


11. Most memorable character in 2013? 

  Toss up between Danielle from OCD, The Dude, and Me and Mallory from Going Vintage.

 12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?

I'll have to go with Erase Me and The Heart Goes Last, both installments in Margaret Atwood's Positron series. If there's anything by her that I read, nothing else can beat it for me. And I'm not even counting my re-read of The Edible Woman.

13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013? 

I guess Going Vintage in the sense that it made me think about all this modern technology we use and mostly take for granted. Can't say it was a huge impact or anything but it's the only book that comes to mind here.

 14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read? 

Shatter Me I guess, it had been on my to read list for a while. But also A Streetcar Named Desire, I was an English Lit major after all.

 15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2013?

Portia De Rossi's foreword in Vegan Cooking for Carnivores, I always love stories about how people became vegan. This is a bit of a cop out but I don't really remember anything else in particular.

16. Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?

 17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!

I can't really think of anything but Horde (Razorland #3) maybe because of all the stuff happening.

18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).

I'm gonna go with Danielle and Daniel from OCD, The Dude, and Me but the group from Harmonic Feedback has to be mentioned as well.

19. Favorite Book You Read in 2013 From An Author You’ve Read Previously

20. Best Book You Read In 2013 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:

  21. Genre You Read The Most From in 2013?

Young Adult

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?

Can't say I have one.

23. Best 2013 debut you read?

24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?

I don't really know and to not repeat myself as I already mentioned a lot of the same books, I'm going with Requiem (Delirium #3).

25. Book That Was The Most Fun To Read in 2013?

  Even though it dealt with some serious stuff, Flat-Out Love (Flat-Out Love #1).

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2013?

I don't remember... Requiem I think? But I can't say for sure. Horde maybe as well. No wait! I think that for sure Vain made me cry!

27. Book You Read in 2013 That You Think Got Overlooked This Year Or When It Came Out?

OCD, The Dude, and Me is a little gem that only has 534 ratings on Goodreads.



I don't really blog enough to answer all of these but let's give it a go.

1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2013?

I never really keep track of what I find when but I recently came across Pop! Goes The Reader which has to be awesome judging by the name alone already and it really does seem like a pretty awesome blog.

2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2013?

3. Best discussion you had on your blog?

NA

4. Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else’s blog?

NA

5. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?

NA

6. Best moment of book blogging/your book life in 2013?

NA

7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?

NA

8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?

NA

9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?

NA

10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year? 

  I wanted to read 50 books, which I reached at some point so I upped my challenge to 75 books, and I ended up reading 79. I also participated in the Debut Author Challenge but this will continue till January, I still have 1 more books to read for this one. I tried the Autumn Challenge but I really failed there. I also had a list of ten books that I wanted to read in 2013 and I ended up reading 6 of those.

 1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2013 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2014?

The Book Thief because everybody loves it and I want to have read the book before the movies comes out here. Ready Player One because it was on my list of books to read in 2013, lots of people love it, and I really finally want to read it

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2014 (non-debut)?

3. 2014 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?

I have only checked some of the debuts but this one seems pretty interesting: Pretty Girl-13 by Liz Coley

4. Series Ending You Are Most Anticipating in 2014?

See question 2, they're all series endings.

5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2014?

Read 75 books, participate in another Debut Author Challenge because I had a lot of fun discovering new books and authors and branch out my reading through the Literary Merit Badges over at I Believe in Story.

0 comments:

Post a Comment