Get me outta here!

Sunday, September 29, 2013

Autumn 2013 Book Challenge


This seemed like fun to participate in so I'm going to give it a try. I might fail horribly, especially because I got some other reading goals to accomplish before the end of the year but I managed to work in 4 debuts and one book from my 2013 resolutions lists so I'm getting ahead with those challenges as well. The books I intend to read are under the categories but I might end up changing some of them if I come across something better.

General Rules 
  • The challenge will run from October 1, 2013, to December 31, 2013. No books that are started before 12 a.m. on October 1 or finished after 11:59 p.m. on December 31 will count.
  • New rule: In the past, I haven't allowed rereads because I said I wanted you to experience new books with my challenges. Now, however, I've decided up to three books for the challenge can be rereads. This is to allow you to revisit books from your childhood or young adulthood that you might get more out of now, or to finish books you started a long time ago but never completed. Please reread the entire book within the timeframe of the challenge in order to count it; no simply finishing old books or partial rereads!
  • Each book must be at least 200 pages long. Audiobooks are fine, as long as the print versions meet the page requirements.
  • A book can only be used for one category. If you want to switch the category later, that's fine, just be sure to account for that in your point total.
  • The highest possible total is 200 points, and the first five people who finish the challenge will win a featured/guest post on Semi-Charmed Kind of Life and be invited to contribute a category for the winter challenge. Good luck!
 Challenge Categories
 
5: Read a book that does not have "the," "a" or "an" in the title.
Ready Player One
10: Read a book that has been featured in Oprah's Book Club. This list includes all the books up until 2010. (Submitted by SCSBC13 winner Erin.)
She's Come Undone
10: Read a book that takes place in the state where you currently live. If you do not live in the U.S., read a book that takes place in the country where you live. (Submitted by SCSBC13 winner Megan.)
The Dinner
15: Read an epistolary novel, which is a book written in letters, emails, diary entries or other documents. See this Goodreads list if you need an idea, but make sure it's actually an epistolary novel first! Goodreads lists aren't verified, so non-epistolary books could have snuck their way on there.
Speak
15: Read a book first published in 2013.
The Rules for Disappearing
15: Read a book with something spooky in the title. (Submitted by SCSBC13 winner Bev.)
Gated
20: Read a book with "air," "water," "earth" or "fire" in the title. (Submitted by SCSBC13 winner Gypsi.)
Catching Fire (reread)
20: Read a book on which a television series has been based (e.g. Orange is the New Black, Gossip Girl, Pretty Little Liars, Friday Night Lights, etc.).
The 100
25: Read a fiction book that has someone’s first and last name in the title (e.g. The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, Bridget Jones's Diary, etc.).
The Reece Malcom List
30: Read two books by the same author. They can be in the same series, but do not have to be. Co-authors do not count (i.e. the author must be the sole author of each book).
Insurgent & Allegiant (reread)
35: Read a fiction and nonfiction book about the same topic. (Example: Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close and The Woman Who Wasn't There are both about 9/11. I'm planning on doing a whole post with a list of ideas soon, if you care to submit any!)

7 comments:

  1. This looks fun! Is Speak epistolary? I didn't remember that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen them around before but never dared to actually participate...finally decided to give it a try :) I found Speak on the Goodreads list so maybe it's now after all? I still have to check to make sure.

      Delete
    2. I checked and it's written in diary entries so that counts :) Good because it seems really interesting, saw it on some banned books lists this week.

      I realized I had missed the 200 pages rule though, oops! Had to change a couple. Btw, if you have a recommendation for the spooky category, I'm open for suggestions. Not sure Gated sounds so spooky, haha! But I really wanted to put in a 2013 debut because I still have to finish 4 to complete that challenge.

      Delete
  2. Hey, I'm doing this challenge too - I'm still mulling over my preliminary reading list at the moment, but it looks like you've come up with some great choices (and most seem to be books I've never even heard of).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, good luck finding your books! It was fun to try and come up with these. Some categories were easy because I either already planned to read them or I could fill them with my other challenges for the year :)

      Delete
  3. Great list! I personally endorse She's Come Undone, The Book Thief and Speak. I hope you enjoy your choices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot! I'm excited to read all of these :)

      Delete